The Smokefree Environments and Regulated Products (Vaping) Amendment Act 2020 (the Amendment Act) commenced on 11 November 2020.
The Act strikes a balance between ensuring vaping products are available for smokers who want to switch to a less harmful alternative and ensuring these products aren’t marketed or sold to young people. The provisions of the Act are being phased in over a 15-month period. This means some provisions came into force straight away, and others take effect further down the track.
- Requires all workplaces, including restaurants and bars to be Smokefree and Vapefree
- Requires the buildings and grounds of schools, early childhood education and care centres to be Smokefree and Vapefree
- Prohibits the sale of vaping products including non-nicotine vape liquid and toy vaping products to anyone under the age of 18 years
- Prohibits the supply of vaping products directly or indirectly to anyone under the age of 18 years
- Sets the requirements for vaping products safety standards that need to be met before the products can be sold